Surface Pro Power Cords recalled Due to Fire Risks
According to reports, Microsoft is planning on recalling the power cord that came with Surface Pro devices that are previous to the Pro 4 that was released last year. The issue can come up with devices that were sold before July 15, 2015. It seems that the reason is an overheating issue that can cause the AC power cable to trigger a fire. The risk is quite high especially if the cable is damaged. According to Channelnomics Europe, Microsoft will release a statement on Friday, at 6 A.M. Pacific Time concerning the voluntary recall of AC power cables for the company’s Surface Pro, Pro 2, and Pro 3 models that were sold prior to the aforementioned date.
After the announcement will be officially made, users who own one of the specified Surface tablet models will be directed to a special website that was created for this purpose, and they will be able to order a new power cord for their gadgets. Even though the statement regarding the recall of the AC power suppliers wasn’t made yet, a Microsoft spokesperson acknowledged the overheating issue by making a statement according to which,
“As a result of damage caused by AC power cords being wound too tightly, twisted or pinched over an extended period of time, a very small proportion of Surface Pro customers have reported issues with their AC power cord. We will be releasing details of how customers can obtain a free replacement cable shortly.”
There will probably be a great number of Surface users who are affected by the problem, given the fact that Microsoft’s Surface tablets are really popular. Even though the latest model, the Surface Pro 4, is the best one the tech giant has delivered so far, there are a lot of people who still own an older version of the tablet and who might need to replace their power cables in order to avoid the fire risks they can generate. There is no information regarding the date when Surface owners will get their new cables, but we assume that Microsoft won’t let too much time go by before delivering the safer cables to its customers.